The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:08 am 

Have a woman who is willing to give me all her rabbit poop. However, she uses cedar shavings as a bedding. I'm I correct that I will have to separate the poop from the shavings before putting the manure into the bins? I'm assuming that aromic woods are not to be used in worm beds.

Did a search, but it didn't pull up anything usefull. Thanks!

Promote Global Worming!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:23 am 

I have never heard not to use aromatic woods. But I would think that the cedar wont break down in a timely manner. I would also thing the woods chips would soak up urine and so should be screened out maybe with a 1/2 inch wire screen or at least soaked and rinsed several times.
I use a rubbermade tote under my rabbits with some aluminum flashing funneling everything into it. then empty it weekly, soak, rinse and feed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:39 pm 

Cedar will take forever + 1 day to break down. Maybe ask her if she would switch to pine bedding?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:23 pm 

WistarWorms wrote:
Did a search, but it didn't pull up anything usefull. Thanks!
How about this 'un, Buddy:http://www.google.com/search?q=cedar+in+worm+bins&rls=com.microsoft:en-us&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&startIndex=&startPage=1?
I've never had any cedar bedding in the bins, but it looks like the natural oils would be the issue. Dunno how cedar bedding sellers prep their shavings, but I'd imagine they at least dry 'em out before packaging. Whether the oils reconstitute when wet...again, dunno.
OK, that helped a lot, didn't it?! :lol:

Edit: If ya soak it first to get rid of the pee, I imagine a lot of the shavings will float to be skimmed out...better? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:45 am 

You're spot on Gary. It's the natural oils that I was concerned about. I can always screen out the shavings from the VC. It just seemed that if you put clothes in a cedar chest to keep out the moths, it may also have a negative effect on the worms. Have a batch soaking now to get out the pee. Will skim out as much of the shavings as I can and toss them into the compost pile.

Gary, thanks for website link. As usual, lots of good information, but no definitive answers. 50% of the sites advocate making bins out of cedar because it will last for years. 40% of the sites are definitely against cedar because of the oils and the fact that cedar retards microbial growth. The remaining 10% say cedar shavings are ok if used in MODERATION (ya gotta love that word). If used as no more than 25% of the total bedding the oils should present no big problems with the growth of microbs on the food. And because they take so long to break down, they will help to keep the bedding from compacting and help maintain air pockets.

My conclusion is this: Screen out as much of the cedar shavings as possible. Soak the remaining manure/shaving mix to get rid of as much pee as possible. Try a small amount in a section of the bin to see what happens. If the worms belly up to the bar, mission accomplished. If they run for the hills, back to the drawing board.

Will try some tomorrow and post the results next week.

Thanks to everyone for their comments.

Promote Global Worming!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:45 am 

Well, I use pine shavings for Abbey's bunny and it works great - the worms in the EarthMachine seem to be doing well (and the tray is just dumped/scraped in there [no rinse, muss or fuss]).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:32 pm 

Not to be a wet blanket or anything, but I've always understood that cedar shavings were a big no-no for rabbits, as cedar can cause some serious respritory problems. Hardwood, especially aspen shavings are ideal, however.

If you could somehow convince your lady friend to switch to hardwood shavings, it could be win-win for her and her buns, and you and your worms. ;)

I've made my former rain barrel into a "manure aging" barrel just for aging rabbit manure and shavings.

Have you ever read this? There's a post in this thread made by Kelly S, where she's talking about using manure and sawdust. Quite interesting....

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load ... 46639.html

Have a good day,
Chickadee

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:52 am 

Update on the cedar shavings. Was able to snag 4 18 gal totes of somewhat aged rabbit poo from a Freecycler 40 minutes from me. Ran it through a 1/4" screen and put some of the well aged manure in the bins. They seem to love it. The remaining poo along with the poo/shavings mix has been rinsed and is in a bin to age. Will continue to turn the pile and mix with sawdust to dry it out. Will rescreen and store the screened poo in a tote for later use.

Gary, the shavings do float in water, but some of the poo does also. Next time, will screen out the shavings while still dry.

Promote Global Worming!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:37 am 

WistarWorms wrote:
Was able to snag 4 18 gal totes of somewhat aged rabbit poo from a Freecycler 40 minutes from me.
Gary, the shavings do float in water, but some of the poo does also. Next time, will screen out the shavings while still dry.
Freecycle is cool, even though some members (in my local groups anyway...) amaze me at the stuff they ask for.
"Hi, my 60" HDTV just fried, and I was wondering if anyone has a Sony Bravia they're not using...nothing smaller than 54" though. Thanks! PS: I'd really appreciate it if you could deliver before the PPV cage fight tonight, 'cuz I already paid for it...". :shock:

Your call, Buddy. Me, I'd think the wet technique would require the least work and then just hot-pile the floaters with the chips :wink: .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:03 pm 

WistarWorms wrote:
Update on the cedar shavings. Was able to snag 4 18 gal totes of somewhat aged rabbit poo from a Freecycler 40 minutes from me.

Tell me/us you didn't really drive 40 minutes out (and 40 minutes back) for 4 18 gal totes of rabbit poo.
Seems that cancels the free and 're' right outta the cycling.
Like this nonsense of turning corn into ethanol,... when it takes more energy to produce than it delivers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:01 am 

[quote][Freecycle is cool, even though some members (in my local groups anyway...) amaze me at the stuff they ask for. [quote]

Hi Gary,
Like you we get some greedy posts where I live too. I've see someone ask for a grand piano. Laptops are a frequent ask-for ("must be Dell"). These are just the ones I can think of right now.

I've never seen any worms and bins advertised, but I did ask for 5-gallon pails for my castings and shredded paper and I got beautiful clean ones given to me. I can get as many as I want from this fellow. I gave him some castings in return.

I also asked for and got lots of Folgers coffee containers. I age my food in them, and give them to people who I've given some worms to, and they can then use the can for their food storage as well.

Sherry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:36 pm 

jasdip wrote:
I've see someone ask for a grand piano.
Hey Sherry,
For their little advanced-courses virtuoso, I imagine.
"Oh, Honey, this piano just won't shine up like it used to. Let's give it away to someone who really needs it instead of having it hauled to the dump, 'kay?".
I've gotten rid of a lot more (from scrap iron to old pallets to volunteer veggies & flowers) than I've gained through FreeCycle, but the herd & I really like the fall punkin harvest:
Yep, AD, all picked up en-route to / from work - couple blocks deviation at most. I'm with ya - I can't justify expending mucho extra energy, but I'm also blessed with having a lot of resources right close to home and along my regular routes.
Except for the dang dial-up issue, it's good to be rural :wink: .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:21 pm 

Ever since you mentioned snagging some pumpkins Gary, I can't wait to post a wanted: pumpkin post on FreeCycle. I recently bought a second freezer off Kijiji for $35, mostly to use as further worm storage, as well as for our food too. :-)

Sherry