The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Adenium Thai Soco
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:56 pm 

Bought these two plants at the same time. They are pod siblings and were very close to the same diameter and height when purchased. I have a photo of them together back then, but can't locate it. :roll:

Through private emails with a couple people that grow a lot of these plants, I learned two things they strongly believed. To promote a thick trunk, one has to keep them in shallow containers. Also don't keep them as dry as you do obesum. They weren't doing anything for me. Increasing water got me over the hump care wise.

One thing they didn't agree on was leaf pruning. One believed it was unnecessary and may ruin the natural growth of the plant. The other loved the results he got. Guess who hit it out of the park with my way of thinking? :wink: :wink:

Since May of 2007 this plant has been kept in very shallow containers and leaf pruned about 6 times. I only removed the leaves, not the tips. I wasn't trying to promote more branching, just slow the process down a little.
It is 6 3/4" (17.1cm) tall with a 2 7/8" (about 7.1, guessing on this one) diameter trunk at the soil line.

It's starting to show my favorite Soco trait, horizontal growing branches.

This one has been left alone. It's in a 6 inch azalea pot and 7 1/4" tall (not counting leaves) with a 1 3/4 " trunk.

Based on results of these two plants I would say there may be something to both the shallow pot thing and leaf pruning.

I have more numbers to experiment with this year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:03 am 

Thanks once again Randy................I now know what I will planting out my Thai soco's into very soon. I have some that would be 6 months old.

Did you pinch out the tip to encourage branching of were they like this when you purchased them. I have no branching on mine so do you think I should pinch out the tips?

Betty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:25 am 

parrotsheaven wrote:
Thanks once again Randy................I now know what I will planting out my Thai soco's into very soon. I have some that would be 6 months old.

Hi Betty,

I've asked a potter to make me 10 bonsai pots similar to the one the nice plant is in to try as growing pots on a few young socos. I need to buy some smaller bulb pans too.

parrotsheaven wrote:
Did you pinch out the tip to encourage branching of were they like this when you purchased them. I have no branching on mine so do you think I should pinch out the tips?

Betty

Branching here is natural. I've not cut any of the growing tips on these plants. There is a third soco of the group I didn't think to photo. It's the best branched of the group as far as number of branches from bottom to top. I have a pot coming for it this week. I'll add a photo of it later.

I have quite a few soco seedlings that have been pruned for branching and have responded quite well. It's still hours until daylight here. :wink: My dogs and I love our time outside before the heat kicks in. I'll post some photos of a few later today.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:40 pm 

Here's the third soco from the group. It probably has more potential than the other two once it gets a shallow pot and a little leaf pruning.

Post subject: Adenium Thai soco
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:13 pm 

Randy....Thanks...mooooore...for posting worthwhile information. I am still the proverbial "coward"...but you may change that with the wonderful pics, and great explanations.

Randi in Lost Causes

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:52 am 

Another nice one Randy :wink:

Betty